Monday, August 18, 2014

Patterns & Pages, Books & Blogs

I hit a milestone last week. My patterns, on Ravelry & Craftsy combined, now have over 40,000 unique downloads in less than 9 months. Woo hoo! I never thought I would have 40 downloads total when I posted that first pattern (Orlando) so I am more than a little excited to have that many. This small success on the road to, well I am not really sure where this road is leading me to, but the next two stops along the way involve writing. The first is this blog. I have also decided to venture a little deeper into the designer pond and doggie paddle my way into the deep end of the publishing pool.

Let Creativity Rule. (I have an Alex and Ani bangle that confirms this.)

It's been a bit cool in Boston lately, especially for the dog days of August, and I am already busy designing and stitching new patterns. I have two new infinity scarves using DK weight yarn, and a bunch of new hats I am busy working on for the book proposal. I also am working on a bag to be submitted for the 101 Little One Skein Crochet Wonders book. The hat patterns will not be published on Ravelry or Craftsy, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future, but I hope to offer at least one of the patterns, free, to people who decide to follow this blog. Yes, it is a form of blackmail but I have no shame. More on the hats and some pics of the new designs cooming soon.

Keep Calm & Crochet On 

I take mass transit everywhere. Our subway is called the "T" and I used it over the weekend to go to one of my favorite independent bookstores, Harvard Bookstore. (www.harvard.com)  It's right in the heart of Harvard Square and if you are ever in the Boston/Cambridge area it's a great place to visit. The staff is amazing. 

They were having a sale, it was a tax free weekend here in MA and it was a convenient excuse to indulge and buy a few new hardcover books I had been coveting. I'm sure I will be writing more about my selections here soon. I told myself I was only going to buy one book for a friend. Ahh how easy it is for me to deceive myself. 

It's a quick trip in on the red line branch of the T, and my friend Brian and I headed in. About three stops into the trip a woman got on the train with a crocheted bag. It wasn't handmade, it was manufactured, but I LOVED the striping sequence. So I dug into my bag, pulled out my handy, dandy, ever present sketchbook and began to write down pattern sequences and draw the purse. Because I have to tinker with everything creative (it's a sad, sad disease I am infected with) I modified it while I was transcribing it. I have some cotton yarn in a fern green and a bright copper that will work perfectly. I don't know if I was more excited about a new pattern prospect or the new books. The new hairstyle I had done on Saturday morning,  that I really like btw, came in a distant third on the "exciting things I did this weekend" list.


Kristina

The soundtrack to this post was the album Kick by INXS

Currently Reading: David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. 

Orlando helped with this post by walking across the keyboard twice while I was writing and typing a bunch of letters I had to erase. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on that huge milestone! Gee I never thought of taking advantage of the tax free weekend for anything. I should have. It's been a great summer, weather-wise.

    ReplyDelete